Keeping dinner interesting might be more challenging than it used to be, but you can still have inspired and sumptuous meals. All you need is a pinch of creativity to take your meal planning to another level, especially when you’re working with limited ingredients inside our apartments in Galveston.
Pasta is brimming with possibility. Need some inspiration? Choose one or more from each of these categories to create a complete, delectable meal.
- Aromatics: Garlic and onion are the most popular options, but shallots, dried mushrooms, leeks, oregano, rosemary, and others are equally viable
- Fats: Don’t be afraid of these fats. Butter or ghee, olive oil, bacon fat, and other bits of fat from whatever meats you usually discard. This is a great way to reduce waste.
- Vegetables: Broccoli, kale, fennel, celery, beans. Veggies are so versatile, just about any will do. Choose your favorites or experiment with new ones. This is also a perfect chance to add something from your indoor garden.
- Toppings: Nuts, crumbs, seeds, any kind of hard cheese crumbled or grated over the top. Sprinkle in some fresh parsley or fresh ground pepper for that extra pop.
There are countless different combinations. You can try a new one every day for a full year without repeating. What new recipes will you create?
When in Doubt, Swap it Out
If you’re preparing a meal only to discover one key ingredient missing, you may be surprised that it’s not as crucial as you first thought. Here are a few substitution ideas to use up your items without sacrificing the dish.
- Wine used for sauces can be replaced with fruit preserves
- Butter can be replaced by fruit or vegetable puree
- Sliced bread can be replaced with tortillas, pita, and rolls
- Flour can be replaced by black beans (after draining, rinsing, and mashing)
- Mayonnaise can be replaced by mashed avocado
- Your favorite meat marinades can be replaced by vinegar or oil-based salad dressing